Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What a Wonderful First Day!

Today was AMAZING! And not just for teaching. It really was an awesome day filled with so many new, exciting things.

This morning before class even started (8:35 for my first course) I had to go and pick up my residency permit card. I got to the right office at 8am, signed for the card, and went about my day. I felt extra smug picking it up on the day the US Government shut-down started. The Austrian State/Province/District I'm in is paying me, HA! Anyway...

I had already go to my school on Monday to take care of some bureaucratic stuff. I had received my schedule. It turns out they were able to get Fridays off for me! I also got my key and met most of the other English teachers. So this morning I walked in feeling somewhat prepared—but still nervous.

I had prepared the same powerpoint and class activity for all levels, just because it was the firt

The first class I taught was the 5th years (same age as 9th graders in America). They haven't had as much English but it still went pretty well.

The next two classes were 8th years (12th graders in the American system). Both fun and interesting to work with but VERY different ways of acting as a whole.

I at least feel confident I can be a pretty good assistant, so that's good.

Some observations or differences about the school system for my readers. I already experienced the school system at the Gymnasium, so most of this is review for me but some differences are:

-Different high schools for different education tracks. But most of them end with a special diploma, a Matura, which opens up many jobs for a lot of people.

-Each class of students has their own room, and teachers move around throughout the day (the classes still have a sort of “homeroom teacher” though)

-No cafeteria, but instead a small place to buy snacks and sandwiches

-Required subejcts are usally done for students around 1 in the afternoon, and they have some electives a few times a week (at least at the Gymnasium)

-Classes aren't every day. My students will have English either 2 or 3 times a week

-Teachers all have places at tables in a large Konferenzzimmer. Since I knew about this before it was kind of awesome being on the other side of this sort-of forbidden place for me

-Back in my day, students didn't try to friend their teaching assistants in high school. Then again, back in my day Facebook wasn't as ubiquitous....


After teaching I was surprisingly tired and napped. I figure it'll be like this the next week or 2.

My evening was also somewhat productive. I was able to meet up in-person with another Austrian I'd been taking to online for a while. It was GREAT! I had tea and we got to speak in German the whole time. Hopefully I can get to know his friends and start to form some semblance of a Villach-based social life.

And right after the meet up, I received a perfectly timed phone call from Maggi!!

For those of you who don't know, Maggi was one of the most amazing people I've ever met. We met during language camp of my exchange year and I stayed with her for most of December and part of January when things didn't work out with my first host family.


Sorrynotsorry for the off-centered crop. It's for reasons (including at least SOME of the landscape must be in the pic)...

Anyway, she called to invite me to stay with her over the weekend! I CANNOT WAIT to meet up with her since it's been over 4 years now... and possibly about 3 since we've even heard each other's voices. I know a lot has changed for both of us in that time. Gah, she was so central (in one way or another) to connecting so many parts of my life over more than half a decade, I'm getting all emotional!

Anyway, what this means for you guys is pictures of a different, VERY beautiful part of Austria

So to sum everything up awesome about today:

-First classes going well!
-Meeting new contacts FROM around Villach
-Plans to reconnect with a pivotal person in my life


No comments:

Post a Comment