Saturday, September 14, 2013

Arrival in Austria!

I am writing this from a beautiful cafe on the Drau River (one of the few places I've found with Wifi). Aka... I'M IN AUSTRIA!!


Time for catch ups?

I left Sarasota on September 4th after selling my car. This gave me a week to just relaaaax and spend time with family and do some last minute preparations. It was really great to be able to visit my sister, currently attending school in Tallahassee—especially since I rarely get to spend time with her.



The last few days also involved a lot of repacking: Fitting everything in the suitcase wasn't too difficult, but staying below the weight limit was. And with only a small backpack and purse as extra storage, it was an interesting exercise (and I definitely wore my winter boots on the plane).

My parents took me to the Tampa airport the morning on September 11th. I am very glad I got to spend some time and say my good byes before heading off through security



Though I arrived on time (in fact earlier than originally scheduled), the flight was a mini-adventure in itself.

I was supposed to fly from Tampa to Chicago to Madrid to Vienna, arriving at 11ish.

About 5 minutes after boarding was supposed to begin, there was a mechanical problem with the plane and they had to change my flight to Tampa-Miami-Duesseldorf-Vienna, arriving at 10:20.

And that plan worked to get me there. My luggage was not so lucky. It arrived today, Saturday. About 48 hours later. Luckily squishing everything in my backpack was a good idea: when I woke up, I had a brand new outfit to wear plus plenty of extra socks and underwear.

After landing in Vienna, I took a bus to a Vienna train station, and then it was a 4 hour trip to Villach. Once in town, the skies greeted me with a double rainbow, which was pretty awesome.


(The double rainbow showed up right after I took this pic, unfortunately)

There my Betreuungsleherin (teacher I'm working under) picked me up from the train station, took me to get a few very basic groceries, helped me get to my apartment, and took me out for a small bite to eat. And then I slept for 10.5 hours.

Stay tuned for more posts about ACTUALLY being in Villach! It's been great so far.

As a quick spoiler, I present to you the view of the city from my bedroom window:


No comments:

Post a Comment